Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Levels and a level

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:45:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 05/04/2018 14:14, David wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 14:11:00 +0000, David wrote:

Am I in a minority in being unable to set an accurate horizontal level
against a vertical surface like a wall using a spirit level?

There seems to be a degree(?) of variance between just touching and
just past the line for the bubble which seems to be beyond my ability
to discriminate.

Fall back is measuring up the wall from a flat surface.

A laser level might help (if I can get the level level, so to speak,
which comes back to the original problem).

What do the experts do?

Bought the Bosch level as recommended.

Looks good so far, except that the tripod will only reach up 4 feet.

Dug out my stock of tripods and I can gain about another foot, but I
want a line even higher up the wall.

So now trying to work out what I can position opposite the wall which
is tall enough AND broad enough to support the tripod so I can get the
line where I want it.

I can tilt the head, but I get the annoying flashing which says "I am
not level" and also I need to be sure that it is level from side to
side.

Whatever do you do if you are trying to level a picture rail in a 18th
Century room with 10 foot (or higher) ceilings?

Stick a screw in the wall and hang it on that, or find something to clip
it to.

Drawing pin in the ceiling and some thread?

Managed to balance my middle tripod on a chair with the tripod legs nearly
folded into the centre. Wobbled a bit but did the job.

Having pointed to a device which is basically a plaster's third arm with a
bit clipped to it, painted added value Bosch green I am now idly wondering
if I could do something similar.

Cheers

Dave R

---