Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Clarke JS5IN1

In article ,
Me wrote:
I have JS5IN1 (jump starter) which hasn't seen the light of day for some
time. The battery is flat, the worklight come son quite brightly but
otherwise nothing. I have attempted to charge it using it's own charger
plug with little result, the compressor will run for a short time but
that's it.

I have a "smart" battery charger the instructions of which suggest it
might be able to revitalise a flat battery. Can I connect this directly
to the JS5IN1 across it's jump cables without doing any damage? Taking
the battery out to charge it would probably be a better option but none
of my screwdrivers will fit the screws I assume hold the case together.

There is a lot of varied expertise in this group so any thoughts?

I have a similar one which I've charged using my Lidl car charger. But
like many chargers, it won't even connect to a very flat battery. And any
type of lead acid battery isn't going to recover fully after being left
flat for a while. It may work well enough for the compressor, but unlikely
to ever jump start again. If its own charger does show it to being
charged, I doubt you'll do much better with another.

+1

Had something similar many years ago, the battery gave out after not
very much use even though I was religious in keeping it charged.

If you take it apart it will be a standard sized battery but IMHO you
would be better off just to buy a lithium one if your main purpose is
jump starting (search "jump start" in Amazon or eBay).

Never found the torch, pump, or inverter in these "all in 1" units up to
all that much.