Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Alarms/PIRs/Cats

On Monday, 2 April 2018 15:04:57 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

and on anything else they feel the need to climb on.
On the backs of sofas mine sometimes sleeps on my scanner next to the computer.

Daughter's one seems to sleep a lot. They are also trying to work out
how to fit a cat flap - the only available door has glass panels. There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

You can some provide an extention tunnul made of plastic to go through the wall.

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

Yes mine has one and in the past I needed to get my cat chipped and brought the catflap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

After I did this video which I did for amusment and to see what did happen the porteport people saw it on-line and asked if they could use it in an ad..
And the Animal planet channel in the USA also used a few seconds of it, and I got a new catflap (later version than the one I had, and a £100 cheque)
So unusually I did actually get paid :-)

I don't believe in pet proof PIRs as pets pretty much have the same PIR profile as humans and have yet to see any evidence to prove they PIR is differnt enough for a PIR to detect other than using height or amoiunt of 'light' detected.