David Babcock

Default Floor/crawlspace insulation

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
Problem: The kitchen is partly over the basement, but also partly in a
wing that includes the garage. The carpeted floor between the outside
wall and the point where the basement starts gets *very* cold in winter.
As a crawlspace there isn't much: 2' perhaps, probably closer to 18". I
have no idea at this point what is under there; the kitchen was built in
the 1970s, but the home dates to 1858.

The carpet needs replacement, badly, and an obvious choice is some sort
of vinyl/laminate.

My question is, are there practical options for insulating *under* the
vinyl flooring? There's already a step up to the kitchen on one side,
and a high threshold wouldn't be out of imagination at the other door.
But perhaps this is a crazy idea. Foamcore-type material would certainly
compress over time and I know that would limit its insulating properties.

If we really had to, and it may be advisable anyway, getting into the
crawlspace while the carpet is up is an option. (No removing kitchen
cabinetry though, so we can't just rip up all the flooring!)

What should I think about in terms of insulating under there, given that
access is such a problem? A vapor barrier is probably code today, right?

In some of the rehabs I have done on older homes sitting on grade or with a
small crawl space such as yours I have had to pull up some of the subfloor
to look at realized framing and rot issues. This would also give you the
chance to do any insulation you might need. If you have to replace any
structural joist or beams remember the word structural and get a
professional opinion.
But not knowing what type of heating you have, if you have forced hot water
I might think about forgoing all the insulation ideas and add a heating
system to heat the floor.
Something to think about.....eh?

Dave