Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default HP Replacement laptop Batteries supplier recommendations?.

On 02/04/2018 23:09, Theo wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Very much as it says anyone any recommendations for decent laptop
battery suppliers?.

Seen prices for the one i want from 12 odd quid to 108! Must be a decent
price performance medium in there somewhere, so any suppliers
recommended please?

It's a crapshoot, since many of them are fake and die after a short while.
Can you buy an official one from the manufacturer direct?
A lot of the online battery vendors are actually fronts for Chinese
companies, dressed up as UK sellers (so good luck with returns).

If the battery is thick (ie it's not a flat pouch cell like phones) it
probably contains 18650 cells. I'd be tempted to consider re-celling the
battery with decent brand 18650s (Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Sony), since at
least you know where they came from.

Theo

After re-celling, surely the battery management IC will need
re-initialising via a serial link? And it may have been 'finalised' to
prevent this, unless the flash memory is removed from the board and
wiped before replacing?

I investigated an old HP laptop in which I had replaced the battery.
Probably not a good one as after the first charge it failed. The
supplier replaced it suspiciously quickly without question, but the
second one only lasted a couple of years.

After it would only hold a small charge, I tried reprogramming the chip
and got a bit more life from the battery. I did this a second time but
fell into the trap of setting a lccking flag which I was surprised to
find was unset by the manufacturer, but this prevented it from being
unlocked again.
--
Dave W