Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY networking - heads up on Ubiquity

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 08:45:13 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Is that real IEE802.3af or IEE802.3at PoE? Some Ubiquity "PoE" is
passive 24 V DC straight onto pairs of the cable with no

interlock.
This put me off Ubiquity kit a year or so ago, far to easy to give
somethinga 24 V surprise and let the magic smoke out.

802.3at+af but the ports *can* be programmed for 24V passive - something
I'm keen to avoid for similar reasons

Ah that's not so bad.

In theory, as I understand it, all PoE (including passive) put DC
*between pairs* rather than across wires in a pair, so really, nothing
should be going bang as the isolating transformers in any given device
will provide decent inter-pair isolation:

But not in cheapo cable testers. B-)

and 24V is on the low side for things expecting power.

Or am I missing something?

Well there will be twice the current and twice the voltage drop along
the cable for a given power compared to 802.3a*.

Cat5e will run Gigabit and is easier to handle than Cat6...

Yes indeed - but for installation cable, I'm going for future proofing
Mac Pro's already come with 10000baseT ethernet - it's not that far
over the horizon that we'll all be saying "pah - gigabit???".

Lots of kit has Gigabit ports, lots of kit hasn't a hope of
saturating that port. Future proofing? Single mode fibre. B-)

(I fancy the look of the Excel keystone toolless jack system) and

mount up this switch properly

How do you terminate the cables without a tool? Either to fit an

RJ45
to plug into the keystone or to strip back the jacket to arrange

the
wires correctly into some other connection on the keystone?

They mean no special crimping or punchdown tool. I think strippers are
allowed

Not "toolless" then is it? Bloody marketing... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.