Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY networking - heads up on Ubiquity

On 03/04/18 13:12, Theo wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
10Gbase-T won't do the full 100m over cat6 (though I suppose 55m is fine
for most houses, if not then use cat6a, shielded for maximum future
proofing).

If you're doing the full future proofing thing, I might consider fibre for
higher bandwidths. Terminating it is easier than 10GBASE-T (unless your
equipment only has an RJ45 and nothing else).

cat5e can be used for MultiGig (2.5 or 5.0 Gbit), but so far I've only
seen APs using that rather than PCs, but it seems gaming laptops are
starting to support it.

Gamer desktops are also starting to support it - eg chips from Aquantia.
However the current lack (as with 10G) is affordable switches.
(in the case of 10G, ex-datacentre kit is a good option at this point).

Theo

Looks easy enough to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQvkFiT2Av0