Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating

On 03/04/2018 09:35, DerbyBorn wrote:
wrote in
:

On Monday, 2 April 2018 22:39:43 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
A mate has heating problems. He had a powerflush 2 years ago which
didn't fix it. He had a contract with Scottish Power and all they can
do is offer to fit a new pump despite his pump being onto 2 years
old. The say he needs a powerflush - surely not!

I have not been to see it for myself. It seems that some downtairs
radiators do not heat up. I have talked him through balancing and checking
his TRVs are not stuck.
He claims his DHW gets really hot - I have suggested he sets the cylinder
stat to a lower setting - he tries to control things with his timer. I even

OK. This sounds very familiar.

There is a 3 way valve that has got stuck so that the hot water tank is
always being heated and one of the house zones is never heated.

wonder if there is a wiring issue. Some parts are not very accessible and I
don't want to go round as I might attract a ping-****it.
It just seems that many plumbers are really pipe fitters or new part
fitters and don't spend time understanding a system and doing a proper
diagnosis.

I'd trace back the hot water coil feed and find the offending valve.

It may just have seized up completely or the motor burnt out - my
parent's has stalagmites underneath it! It could be that the control
signals are not reaching it but mechanical failure is more likely.

The superheated hot water is a bit of a give away.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown