Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Central Heating

wrote in
:

On Monday, 2 April 2018 22:39:43 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
A mate has heating problems. He had a powerflush 2 years ago which
didn't fix it. He had a contract with Scottish Power and all they can
do is offer to fit a new pump despite his pump being onto 2 years
old. The say he needs a powerflush - surely not!

The problem is - how can he find someone to diagnose and fix the
problem. It is not a traditional plumbers (pipe strangler) job. It is
not a boiler problem. It could be balancing or control.

Who has the diagnosis skill and commitment to find and fix the
problem without just replacing things and doing money making jobs?

that's kinda what we're here for

NT

I have not been to see it for myself. It seems that some downtairs
radiators do not heat up. I have talked him through balancing and checking
his TRVs are not stuck.
He claims his DHW gets really hot - I have suggested he sets the cylinder
stat to a lower setting - he tries to control things with his timer. I even
wonder if there is a wiring issue. Some parts are not very accessible and I
don't want to go round as I might attract a ping-****it.
It just seems that many plumbers are really pipe fitters or new part
fitters and don't spend time understanding a system and doing a proper
diagnosis.