Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Soldering metal - lamp shade repair

David wrote:
For those commenting on the circles and solder, please note that I am
taking about the ring that fits on the pendant light socket with a screw
on plastic ring to hold it in place. So no soldering anywhere near other
materials, thankfully.

In which case, I'd say more than 45W is required. The gas torch might do
it, but it'll be pretty tricky to control.

I bought one of these while they were 9.99:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-10...ing-iron-n00dp

I didn't use it for soldering, but the element is like a red hot poker so I
think it would do the job. It has quite a high thermal mass so the tip
isn't likely to cool much when you touch something cold.

Theo