Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Soldering metal - lamp shade repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 18:59:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David laid this down on his screen :
O.K. - should have looked more closely on line instead of accepting
that 30W is normal and 45W is large.

Plenty of 100W soldering irons for not much money, but 120W gets a tad
expensive.

A true 100w should manage it, but don't expect one of those instant
trigger type 100w irons to cope. Like a gun, with a trigger and and a
copper loop type element.

Whether soldering might be enough, is a different story. I suspect
originally it will have been spot welded. You might be better looking up
how to try that, with a 12v car battery.

I know it isn't spot welded because I melted the original solder - solder
flows and sets in quite a distinctive way, as well.

For those commenting on the circles and solder, please note that I am
taking about the ring that fits on the pendant light socket with a screw
on plastic ring to hold it in place. So no soldering anywhere near other
materials, thankfully.

Cheers

Dave R

---