Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Abrasive wheel on miter saw

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:58:11 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 11:24:06 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote:
replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote:
Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem
whatsoever and
my saw still runs like a new.

I've done it when needed, but modern mitre saws have lots of plastic
parts and you will melt them. I know first hand. LOL.

I have a dedicated 14 inch abrasive chop-saw that I got for nothing
with a damaged handle. Handle and switch upgrade from Milwaukee cost
me about $15. Does all the cutting I'll need.

Somewhere I've got a picture of my then 12 YO son cutting a 3/4 steel rod
on my old 10" Delta CMS. We were making parts for his Soap Box Derby car.
He had already made dozens of cuts, so I was comfortable setting up the
pictu

I gave him a long rod so his fingers were no where near the blade. He lowered the disk into the rod just before I turned off the lights in the windowless
shop and took a couple of pictures. His face was lit up by the orange glow of
the shooting sparks.

I gotta find that picture.