Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY networking - heads up on Ubiquity

Just redone my core network and WiFi plus experimenting with IP cameras:

https://www.ubnt.com

I've got their 16 port PoE+, controller "dongle" and WiFi AC-Pro access
point (3xMIMO radios) and I have to say, I am *massively* impressed. The
system is very friendly and has the feel of enterprise grade kit with
prosumer pricing.

The switch was relatively expensive - and you don't need it to run just
an access point - those come with a PoE injector as a backup option.
However, it's low noise (has fans, but it's not engaged them yet) and I
will be adding enough PoE parts to justify it (8 port edge switches can
be PoE powered as are the cameras and WiFi points).

The controller can be done as software on linux (I preferred a "dongle"
for my core network, but ran up the video recorder stuff as software on
one of my linux servers).

WiFi signal is solid and impressive - getting excellent dB readings,
even on 5GHz and the behaviour of the Roku and casting has been much
improved over the old AP I had.

Camera ecosystem looks promising - very easy to configure and the
recording is good. Light on features (no masking or area motion detect,
just overall motion detection) but image quality is good and access over
a web browser or phone app is solid (either the camera or the recorder
software - the cams can run managed or standalone).

No connection - just a happy customer.

Next plan is to get a 19" wall cabinet in somewhere with a patch panel,
drop some permanent Cat6a cables (I fancy the look of the Excel keystone
toolless jack system) and mount up this switch properly