Andrew Gabriel

Default Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive

In article ,
(SledgehammerSteve) writes:
Christmas Greetings All

Can Anybody give me any good reasons why I should not use mortar
to retile entire bathroom walls with large ceramic wall tiles
(31cm * 41cm each tile)

I think tile adhesive also contains, as name suggests, adhesive.
I suspect tiles might pull off mortar without a lot of effort.

Also, I think you will find accurately placing tiles, getting them
level, and not having them slide down the wall pretty impossible
if you are having to slap 1/2" of mortar or tile adhesive behind
them in one go. It does sound to me like you are going to have to
use a two stage process; first get the wall flat (at least, a lot
flatter than 1/2" out -- doesn't need to be finish coat quality),
then tile the flat wall.

--
Andrew Gabriel