Posted to alt.home.repair
None None is offline

Default light switch popped - now won't turn off

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 10:57:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, TrialDog wrote:
Was sitting here, minding my own business, and I hear a small pop/sizzle
from
the light switch and the overhead light came on. Now neither switch will
make
it go off. My main question is whether this is dangerous or whether I
should
cut the breaker to the whole room and not use this computer until an
electrician gets here. I've never replaced a switch or plug, even though
I'm
not completely helpless around the house. It's* Sunday, so any repairs are
going to likely have to wait until tomorrow. Main question is whether I
need
to cut the power to the switch.

Never heard of that happening. I have no idea if there is a danger, but
when you hear a pop and sizzle, not good. I'd turn off the breaker.
Lights and receptacles are often on different breakers so you may be
able to use the computer. Ot use an extension cord.

Switches are easy to replace, usually with just a screwdriver. Lowes is
open today.

Some structures in the USA built during the late 60's contained
aluminum wiring.

I have personally seen such aluminum wires at outlets and switches
break and short to other contacts.

I have also seen copper wires break and very old switches and outlets
fall apart in boxes.