Posted to alt.home.repair

Default light switch popped - now won't turn off

On 4/1/18 9:44 AM, TrialDog wrote:
Was sitting here, minding my own business, and I hear a small pop/sizzle
from
the light switch and the overhead light came on. Now neither switch will
make
it go off. My main question is whether this is dangerous or whether I
should
cut the breaker to the whole room and not use this computer until an
electrician gets here. I've never replaced a switch or plug, even though
I'm
not completely helpless around the house. It'sĀ* Sunday, so any repairs are
going to likely have to wait until tomorrow. Main question is whether I
need
to cut the power to the switch.

Yes. Off is good. Pop, sizzle indicates something arcing/burning.