Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default spalting

On 3/30/2018 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/30/2018 10:51 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/20/2018 9:48 PM, wrote:
Natural spalting is best, no way around it.

But years ago when I was doing a lot of wood turning a lot of us were
"force" spalting by rough turning a bowl, Christmas ornament, or just
about anything else, and we put the objects into a tightly sealed
trash bag covered with all the green shavings.

Left it under my storage room for several months, and the molds and
fungi would do their work. Got some interesting stuff! For anyone
that tries it, soft woods work best. Take the molded stuff out of
the trash bag and let it dry out slowly over a month or so then turn it.

Interesting that soft wood works best. The only wood I've seen spalt
is Maple. I've done a lot of spalted maple turnings from spalted
maple fire wood but really don't recall seeing other woods spalt? Not
saying you're wrong, just that it surprises me. I never forced the
issue, just used naturally spalted stuff. Does the other woods look
anything like spalted maple, or is maple a unique look?

Common oak fire wood "spalts". My dad used to have his oak tree limbs
trimmed and I cut them up for fire wood. Several years ago I was going
to use some of that wood for our smoker and decided to rip the logs with
my band saw. After seeing the insides of the logs I decided to cut
veneers instead of burning it. Click below to see the fronts of a
couple of jewelry chests I built about 10 years ago. The doors have
that spalted oak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And details on the apron ends of a desk I built in 2007. Zoom in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7630857421932/

Yes, those apron ends look exactly like the spalted maple I'm used to
seeing. The doors not so much, but certainly spalted.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com