Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default TOT household rubbish

In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 29/03/2018 02:12, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/03/2018 23:50, alan_m wrote:

And soon you have to store your plastic bottles somewhere and
remember to take them back to Asda so they can waste time and money
and diesel storing and transporting them seperately.

Its possibly worse than that. A couple of reports in the media today
from spokesmen for the recycling industry have indicated that by
removing the higher value recycled materials from roadside
collections will/may make these roadside collections more expensive
and/or less viable. Roadside collectable waste for recycling will be
related to low value waste and the material that currently cannot be
recycled for reuse and is of no value to the recycling plants.

I'm sure that Asda will not want to refund deposits for bottles/cans
purchased elsewhere. Perhaps not too much of a problem for large
chains of supermarkets but maybe for franchised food stores with
large supermarkets in the neighbourhood.

That depends on how things work.
In other countries, the bottle will have a bar code and scanned. I'm
pretty sure its the manufacturer or importer that will reimburse the
'shop'. Usually the shop will only accept bottles it sells.

Even worse!

That means trekking from shop to shop (including ones that you don't
need to go to for any other reason) and seeing which shop will take
which bottle. At the moment we simply place ALL the bottles in our
bottle recycling bin and the council collect it once a month.

I can see why a deposit scheme seems a good idea to reduce litter, but
what we really need are locking recycling bins (to stop kids emptying
them the day before collection and claiming a month's deposits for
themselves) and readers on the recycling wagons, so as to retain the
ease of recycling that we already have through our councils.

SteveW

Years and years ago there was 3 pence (old money) back on the (glass)
bottle when you bought pop. Any shop which sold that brand would give
you the three pence back on return.
--
bert