Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default 1946 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

On 3/31/2018 1:14 PM, Leon wrote:

I started with a 10" RAS many years ago.Â* I added a 1hp Craftsman cast
iron top TS about 4 years later.Â* I seldom used the RAS after that and
got rid of it about 4 years after that.Â* I never missed it.
In theÂ* 90's I set up a dedicated CMS station and almost as soon as I
got my first cabinet saw, 1999ish, the CMS station was removed and the
CMS went into storage.
I could/can cross cut as accurately with my 2 cabinet saws as with the
RAS or the CMS.

Why did I get another SCMS?Â* I always find myself needing to square the
end of a board and or cut one to length when the TS is set up to cut
dado's or rabbets.Â* The Kapex is great but certainly was not a necessity
for me.Â* It is more of a time and effort saver for me.Â* And it's list of
advantages over the other brands really checked all of the boxes that
were keeping me from buying another brand previously.

Similar here; 10" DeWalt RAS was only thing had initially; did
absolutely everything with it...that would have been early '70s. Didn't
get the Model 66 until mid80's I'd guess altho can't recollect for
absolute certain any longer precisely. Picked it up directly from
Powermatic in McMinnville, TN. Kept the RAS as well; before the day of
the miter saw..."inherited" a 14" Rockwell/Delta from owner of a cabinet
shop I got to know well when he retired but it was large-enough didn't
move it when came back to farm as Dad had bought the identical DeWalt
when he was redoing the house and so it was already hear and I thought
I'd be satisfied...kick my self routinely when have larger timbers than
the 10" will handle...