SledgehammerSteve

Default Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive

Christmas Greetings All

Can Anybody give me any good reasons why I should not use mortar
to retile entire bathroom walls with large ceramic wall tiles
(31cm * 41cm each tile)

The problem I have is the walls from top to bottom aren't exactly
plumb/square, and to get the wall square means either replastering
the wall square (and then waiting 1-2 months for it to dry - correct
me if I'm wrong),
OR making up the gap with the tile adhesive.
Problem is the gap comes to a maximum of 1/2 inch. and all the
ready mixed tile adhesives are 3mm max thin bed.
I was going to build the bed up 3mm a time but it takes 2 days to dry
out and I'd still be doing the job next Christmas.
I sucessfully stuck a few tiles using unibond waterproof cement
tile adhesive which to me seems to be a really good product -
much better than the crappy unibond thin bed readymixed which
I started off with then took down cos I didnt like the way it was
setting (slight cracks in places)

I could continue using the cement adhesive but as it needs to go on
pretty thick in places, and isnt particularly cheap,
I am seriously considering using a mortar mix. It doesnt seem
all that different to me.
I was hoping somebody could warn me of any dangers before I start.
I was thinking of using a mix of 1: 0.5 : 6 portland cement,lime,
silver sand.
Will I be able to tile on top straight away (probably 1 row at a time
until it sets).
Any worries about mortar drying out and shrinking / spoiling tile layout.
Can it be applied as fairly substantial blobs rather than continuous
as I will need some play to get the tiles even, square and vertical.
Anything else?

Thanks for any advice

(I'd be interested to hear what John (Schmidt) and AerMAX think)

SledgerhammerSteve