Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmithing and arc welding

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 21:13:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:10:31 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/29/2018 10:24 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I just signed up for a blacksmithing class. The instructor isn't
averse to non-traditional methods and has MIG and acetylene in
the
shop. What should I watch out for if I plan to hot forge a
previously
arc welded joint? I could be welding high and low carbon steels
together.

-jsw

A properly welded joint can be forged with no problems - even with 2
different alloys welded together.

Thanks. Now I'll find out if I can still weld a proper joint, as I
learn to beat on something until it's pretty.

Does that seem backwards?

g Nah, it has always been reciprocal.
Doing one often requires the other.
Weld up, beat to fit.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross