Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default spalting

On 3/30/2018 10:51 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/20/2018 9:48 PM, wrote:
Natural spalting is best, no way around it.

But years ago when I was doing a lot of wood turning a lot of us were
"force" spalting by rough turning a bowl, Christmas ornament, or just
about anything else, and we put the objects into a tightly sealed
trash bag covered with all the green shavings.

Left it under my storage room for several months, and the molds and
fungi would do their work.Â* Got some interesting stuff! For anyone
that tries it, soft woods work best.Â* Take the molded stuff out of the
trash bag and let it dry out slowly over a month or so then turn it.

Interesting that soft wood works best.Â* The only wood I've seen spalt is
Maple.Â* I've done a lot of spalted maple turnings from spalted maple
fire wood but really don't recall seeing other woods spalt?Â* Not saying
you're wrong, just that it surprises me.Â* I never forced the issue, just
used naturally spalted stuff. Does the other woods look anything like
spalted maple, or is maple a unique look?

Common oak fire wood "spalts". My dad used to have his oak tree limbs
trimmed and I cut them up for fire wood. Several years ago I was going
to use some of that wood for our smoker and decided to rip the logs with
my band saw. After seeing the insides of the logs I decided to cut
veneers instead of burning it. Click below to see the fronts of a
couple of jewelry chests I built about 10 years ago. The doors have
that spalted oak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And details on the apron ends of a desk I built in 2007. Zoom in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7630857421932/