Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default 1946 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

wrote in
:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:02:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free.
If you are interested in buying it make an offer.

Um, that's the point. I doubt you're going to find anyone who will
give you anything for it. Radial arm saws are really passe.

The RAS has its place in some people's shops, especially a DeWalt RAS
properly tuned. I use my RAS more than my SCMS, it holds 90 degrees
while my SCMS arm deflects really easily. Should I get a better SCMS?
Maybe--but my RAS is better at solving the same problems.

If you've got room for a permanent cross-cut setup, a /good/ RAS can be a
very good way to go. The RAS can do everything a SCMS can do plus run a
dado stack.

If you're constantly moving the saw, the CMS is probably going to be a
better saw for you. They're light weight and good ones will hold their
settings in a variety of conditions.

Puckdropper