PJx

Default Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:11:45 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

Just had a drain line put under the cement floor for a shower. The floor
was opened up using a large drill very similar to a jackhammer. It was air
driven but an electric one should be available. A series of holes were
drilled very close together along and in what was to be the opened trench.
Then a sledge hammer was used to break the cement. It didn't take too long
to open up about 10 feet. Sand was put in the trench below and on top of the
new drain and then the cement. PCV is the way to go. Be sure you know the
code that dictates the diameter of the drain line as well as venting
requirements. I believe that the code limits the distance between the vent
location and the object being vented.
MLD

No offense, but why even mention code for this?

Would you pull a permit on your own home? Would you invite the
inspector out to check your work in any case?

As you might guess, I'd never let an inspector on my property. Some
people like big government, some don't. I'm ok, you're ok.

PJ.

"Randall2n" wrote in message
om...
I live in Southern Illinois, near St.Louis.

I am attempting to finsh my basement and the wife wants to put in a
bar with a sink. I have never done plumbing before so I called around
to have it done for me, but was being quoted around $1800.00 for just
the drain pipe. While this may be an appropriate price it is far more
than I was able to afford curently.

My drain opening is a straight 15' from where I can connect to my
basement bath room drain pipe that then goes to a sewage ejector. Or
13' from the drain for the AC/Furnace unit, which also leads to the
sewage ejector, but will have to have make a turn.

So, now I am left to doing it myself. I would appreciate any and all
advice on how to go about this.

What I have learned from the internet thus far:
1.The drain pipe should slope 1/4" for every foot of pipe.
2.The drain pipe needs to be vented.(Air Admittance valve from
Studor?)
thats it.

Immediate Questions:
1. What do I need to cut the concrete?
2. Can I connect to the drain pipe from my basement bath room?
3. Can I connect to the drain pipe from the AC?
4. Which is better/worse?
5. How do I do a vent pipe?

Please help!