Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

On 3/27/2018 2:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/18 2:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 3/27/2018 1:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/18 1:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2018 12:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Finally someone came up with a great solution re-using your
half-used caulk tubes. This is a really cool product and is
cheap enough to make reusing caulk worth it.
https://www.tubeanew.com

Looks great but might be more expensive if you are only saving
less than half of a tube.Â* But for the expensive stuff this
should be good.

It would definitely save money for the expensive stuff, but I see
it more as a butt-saver.

There are so many times when I'm on a job and the need arises for
some calking that was previously unplanned for.Â* Crap!Â* Now I have
to run to the hardware store for caulk, no wait!Â* I have half a
tube under my seat, yea!Â* Nope, crap again!Â*Â* It's all dried up in
the nozzle or the nozzle is cut back to 1/2" from the end.Â* Wait, I
have Tube-A-New!!Â*Â* :-)

Worth every penny for that considering the time it saves.

I'd've thunk for somebody working pretty-much continuously would use
up tubes fast enough to not be such a problem as for the
homeowner/handyman who may be months between (like I, for the most
part as far as that kind of work)...

That said, certainly for the "high-priced spread" could well be worth
Â*the material savings and obviously if it's a livelihood rather than
Â*hobby or just personal then "time is money" will likely override
other considerations.

That said also I've had moderately good success with using
appropriately-sized wirenut to cap a tube and then place in sealable
Â*plastic baggie; can squeeze enough air out of them it seems to
significantly slow the cure rate on those that are
oxidation-driven...plus, keeps any mess contained if in the truck or
the like and something gets dropped on the tube and smushes it
instead of getting all over...

I may order the sample just to see, though; is cute idea...

--

Certainly, it's not an issue for someone who, like you said, is using
the same product every day for the same tasks.Â* Window installers, for

But it's perfect for me.Â* I like to have "some of everything" in the
van.Â* I usually keep a few varieties and colors of this type of tubes in
the van...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-II-2-8-oz-Clear-Silicone-Caulk/3102449

They are big enough for smaller jobs and touch-ups, but big enough to
save for later use.Â* Plus, the screw-on/off cap works very well.

The Tube-A-New should allow me to use left-over full size tubes for this
purpose as well.

Thinking a little more about this, can you reuse them? Seems that they
renew a tube that is dried up on the end but it will dry up again if you
do not use the remainder of the tube.