Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How Much Contact Surface for an R8 Taper ?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:05:09 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

A buddy of mine called me yesterday saying he was having some
troubles
seating tools in his new bench top mill. I stopped by to see if I
could
help and I found there appeared to be only a thin ring of contact
surface very near the large end of the taper on every tool and
collet.
So little that tools tightened down HARD just fell right out when
the
draw bar was loosened. Its supposed to be an R8 spindle and came
with a
few R8 tools.

I'd check how and where the collet was pulling tight. Perhaps the
drawbar threads are too short, or a washer is missing?
-jsw