Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse calculation

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 14:25:50 UTC+1, Sam wrote:

I hope you jest. But knowing you...

which you don't

we've seen enough of your statements about electronics to know where you're at with that.

So yuo must notice that I post evidence that I am right so far you've shown nothing regarding how to work out what fuse to put in a plug.
If you had any sense yuo could find out via google.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ugs-and-fuses/

Quotes
The fuse in a plug is a safety device designed to protect the lead rather than the appliance.

Plugs for appliances rated up to about 700 watts should have a 3-amp fuse (coloured red).

Plugs for appliances rated between about 700 watts and 3000 watts (the maximum rating of a wall socket) should be fitted with a 13-amp fuse (coloured brown).

As I said before - you are too simplistic!

I;'m not the original question was and if it is part of a test for a science foundation course then it should be both correct and simple.

They figures you give are suggestions/recommendations aimed at the
public, there isn't anything wrong fitting a fuse of a lower rating than
the cable and the 700w/3000w suggestion is only a "rule of thumb".

There;s reasons when all you know is the wattgae of the electric fire without knowing anything else about it.

These
sites shows you the possible pitfalls of it:

https://www.pat-testing-training.net...se-ratings.php

exactly as I said
"The purpose of the fuse within a BS1363 plug is to protect the cable."

NOT a good question for a science foundation course.

and

https://www.rospa.com/home-safety/uk...hoosing-fuses/

Also if it were illegal to use other fuse ratings - as you imply

I've never implied that, what I have said is that you need to follow yuor employers recomendations and T & Cs

and from the PAT testing site, yes our PAT tester uses just 3 amp and 13 amp fuses.

QUOTE "For an appliance rated as 700W or less, a 3A fuse should be fitted. For appliances above 700W, a 13A fuse should be fitted."

So why does it say should be fitted ?

- why
is it possible to purchase fuses as shown he

You can purchase rizzlas, too even the long ones, long spoons on chains, bongs, hunting knives etc...

and its not illegal AFAIK to buy fuses of non standard values, I've even brought 50ma ones.

This year I've brought over 100 1 amp QB fuses and prety much every one of them has blow.

https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/fuses-household.htm

I also came across this from a forum:

" The problem is that of "surge" or "startup" currents. These often blow
a 3A fuse.

Yes I know and yet another reason not to use the wattage calculation on the back of pieces of equipment.

It;s even a bigger problem with IEC leads of which we have 100s which if just leads are treaded differntly because you have no idea what they will be connected to power wise.

This is why Table 2 of BS1363-1 effectively states that for 0.5 sq mm,
5A fuse may be used if this is a problem,

which is why most of our IEC leads have either 5 or 13 amp fueses in them.
£amp is just too low unless yuo are sure you'll never exceed 700W

have and 13A for 0.75 sq mm and
above (with a length limit for 0.75 if it's used for certain appliance
ratings)."

As for current flow.

The appliance takes/allows the current to flow due to its
resistance/impedance and the source forces/feeds the current to the
appliance. Isn't this is what is implied by EMF of a source, ie the
Electro Motive Force?

No, emf is volts not current.

Sam