Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Auto air vents (plumbing)

In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 20:09:26 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

As heading. I now have 2 vents out of 6 which dribble water when
unscrewed.

Any thoughts?

That means four aren't working as designed -- AIUI they are crap and will all
leak eventually.

I plan to screw them all shut once the air is fully out of the system.

I found a couple of U tube videos giving a clear explanation of the
purpose and ideosyncracies.

The ones on the manifolds are probably safe to remove as all the pipes
are at a lower level and there are isolating ball valves.

The plumbers have fitted two further vents on vertical legs which can
probably be removed once the system is depressurised.

I'll have a go when the moment arrives.

The float type ones can't be left open. They seal on a wet surface,
which will dry out on the open side leaving some scale. That will
eventually stop them from sealing.

Leave them open for a few hours after filling the system, and then
close them.

You might be able to recover them by descaling the sealing surfaces.

--
Andrew Gabriel