Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

On 3/27/18 8:29 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/27/2018 4:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/18 3:48 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/27/2018 3:17 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 3/27/2018 1:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Finally someone came up with a great solution re-using your
half-used caulk tubes. This is a really cool product and is
cheap enough to make reusing caulk worth it.
https://www.tubeanew.com

I'm going to order a 5-pack of these to keep in the work van
for several reasons. 1. I'm not a fan of filling landfills
with perfectly good caulk, adhesives, roofing tar, and other
stuff. 2. Even though I pass the cost on to the client, I
would rather be able to use one tube of caulk for several
jobs, than buy a new one for each job. 3. Most importantly:
whether in the shop or on the job site, I hate when I have to
run to the store to get some tube-based product that I know I
have a used tube of on the shelf or under the seat of my van,
but I can't use because the tip is all dried up and/or it's
been cut too big. 4. I've used every single "caulk saver"
product out there and while some of them work ok, none of
them completely solve the problem and all of them cost as
much or more than this Tube-A-New.

I'm not that concerned about wasting a $3 tube of painters'
caulk (even though I still don't want to have it in a
landfill) but some of the specialty adhesives and most of the
pure silicone products are up near and over 10 bucks a tube,
now.

A buck and a half to be able to use silicone caulk more than
once is a no-brainer for me. Also, the design makes it pretty
easy to push the caulk out the Tube-A-New backwards and reuse
it again on another tube.

Can't wait to get these. I'll report back with a review as
soon as I use one.

Seems kind of excessive but I guess YMMV. Personally, I've been
using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A local hardware store sells hard rubber caulk caps that I
started using a few years ago. I've never had a problem with hard
caulk using them. Prior to that I used the pinky finger from a
latex glove and electrical tape, also with no problems.

That doesn't get you a smaller hole if needed.

I usually don't use a larger hole for most caulking jobs. It's easier
to go slower using a smaller opening and fill a larger gap than to
have a large opening trying to fill a smaller gap.

There are many application for which a larger bead of caulk is required.
I prefer to cut the nozzle to the require size for efficient application.
In my opinion it's much more efficient and neat to cut the nozzle to the
correct size for the required bead, and not build it up.

Also, Murphy's Law dictates that any used caulk tube will have a larger
hole than is needed for the next application. :-)

The topic product appears to waste a fair amount when cutting the
top. Considering the hardness is usually within the plastic stem
and rarely, just below that at the surface, cutting that much off
is a waste, IMO. Wasting good material drives me bananas
regardless how cheap it may be.

Their demonstrations are for, well, demonstration purposes. :-)
I'm sure it could be cut off closer to the nozzle. Some water-based
product can harden well into the tube. Either way, cutting it off
too far is still saving more material than throwing the tube away
because you can't use it.

Agree with that but after viewing the video, I'm under the impression
if one cuts near the top and apply the cap, it'll be too long for the
gun. Though, I didn't pay close attention.

You're right, you didn't. :-p
They address that issue by instructing the user to simply cut off an the
extra length from the back of the tube. Simple, quick, easy solution
that would take about 20 seconds.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)