Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

In article ,
John-Del wrote:

c) Made with "Matched Reeds" per the OEM spec.

Unless I was building a harmonium, I wouldn't worry about matched reeds...[rimshot] I refuse to believe that someone (anyone) could hear an audible difference between audio switched
through an $80 matched reed relay and a $5 reed relay from Digi.

Especially considering the fact that in this particular circuit, the
audio doesn't go through the reeds during operation! The reed
contacts _short_ the audio to ground when the power is off, is turning
on, or is turning off. The relay is "normally closed", and opens
(un-shorting the output) during operation once the power supply
stabilizes. When you're listening to music, the reed relay contacts
are out-of-circuit, open, not carrying current, inert, silent, and
out-of-mind :-)

The only impact I can see from having non-matched reeds, would be a
slight difference in the exact timing of the un-muting (at power-on)
and re-muting (at power-off). Somehow I can't see a millisecond or
two of variation at those times, as being an issue.