Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

On 3/27/18 2:17 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 3/27/2018 1:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Finally someone came up with a great solution re-using your half-used
caulk tubes.
This is a really cool product and is cheap enough to make reusing caulk
worth it.
https://www.tubeanew.com

I'm going to order a 5-pack of these to keep in the work van for several
reasons.
1.Â* I'm not a fan of filling landfills with perfectly good caulk,
adhesives, roofing tar, and other stuff.
2.Â* Even though I pass the cost on to the client, I would rather be able
to use one tube of caulk for several jobs, than buy a new one for each
job.
3.Â* Most importantly: whether in the shop or on the job site, I hate
when I have to run to the store to get some tube-based product that I
know I have a used tube of on the shelf or under the seat of my van, but
I can't use because the tip is all dried up and/or it's been cut too big.
4.Â* I've used every single "caulk saver" product out there and while
some of them work ok, none of them completely solve the problem and all
of them cost as much or more than this Tube-A-New.

I'm not that concerned about wasting a $3 tube of painters' caulk (even
though I still don't want to have it in a landfill) but some of the
specialty adhesives and most of the pure silicone products are up near
and over 10 bucks a tube, now.

A buck and a half to be able to use silicone caulk more than once is a
no-brainer for me.
Also, the design makes it pretty easy to push the caulk out the
Tube-A-New backwards and reuse it again on another tube.

Can't wait to get these.Â* I'll report back with a review as soon as I
use one.

Seems kind of excessive but I guess YMMV. Personally, I've been using
these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for a while and they are foolproof. I had a tube of construction
adhesive that I capped back in early 2014 with one of these and opened
it a week ago and it was still perfectly usable. My biggest problem was
that I had bought a big contractor-size package of them and it appears
that during a post-project cleanup they got sent to the landfill so I
had to buy replacements (in a smaller package this time).

I've used those, too, John and they do work very well.
But you are stuck with whatever size hole you cut on the tube nozzle (or
bigger).

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)