Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

On 3/27/18 1:58 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/27/2018 2:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2018 12:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Finally someone came up with a great solution re-using your
half-used caulk tubes. This is a really cool product and is cheap
enough to make reusing caulk worth it. https://www.tubeanew.com

I'm going to order a 5-pack of these to keep in the work van for
several reasons. 1. I'm not a fan of filling landfills with
perfectly good caulk, adhesives, roofing tar, and other stuff. 2.
Even though I pass the cost on to the client, I would rather be
able to use one tube of caulk for several jobs, than buy a new
one for each job. 3. Most importantly: whether in the shop or on
the job site, I hate when I have to run to the store to get some
tube-based product that I know I have a used tube of on the shelf
or under the seat of my van, but I can't use because the tip is
all dried up and/or it's been cut too big. 4. I've used every
single "caulk saver" product out there and while some of them
work ok, none of them completely solve the problem and all of
them cost as much or more than this Tube-A-New.

I'm not that concerned about wasting a $3 tube of painters' caulk
(even though I still don't want to have it in a landfill) but
some of the specialty adhesives and most of the pure silicone
products are up near and over 10 bucks a tube, now.

A buck and a half to be able to use silicone caulk more than once
is a no-brainer for me. Also, the design makes it pretty easy to
push the caulk out the Tube-A-New backwards and reuse it again on
another tube.

Can't wait to get these. I'll report back with a review as soon
as I use one.

Looks great but might be more expensive if you are only saving less
than half of a tube. But for the expensive stuff this should be
good.

May not work as well but I have found that One of the large size
Wire nut works well as a cap for used caulk tube.

Maybe not as well as that advertised but better that any thing I have
found

I have used that trick before, too!

Even with the specialty made aftermarket caps with the long protruding
sticks in the middle, or the caulk-condom types, it seems like once you
break the original seal and any air gets in, the stuff in the nozzle
will dry up and harden.

Believe it or not, the little snap-on/off cap that comes on the GE tubes
does a pretty good job of keeping the tube usable for a week or longer.
But it pops off pretty easily, and it doesn't solve the problem of
needing a smaller opening on the tip.

This is one of the best replacement tips I've ever used and solves the
problem of re-sizing the nozzle hole, but I spend a lot of time cleaning
it out and it won't thread onto some manufacturers' nozzles.
https://www.homaxproducts.com/kitchen-bath/caulk-tools/homax-caulk-tips

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)