jim

Default Problem with Kenmore gas oven

Christopher R. Palmer wrote:

Christopher R. Palmer wrote
I have a relatively new Kenmore gas range
which is having some intermittent problems
with the oven. Periodically, the oven will not
ignite. When it is having problems neither
the broiler nor the bottom burner will ignite.
The display thinks that it is preheating the
oven, but nothing happens...

Sounds like it should be something pretty
simple to diagnose.

Dan O. replied:

Intermittent problems are usually the hardest to diagnose. Sometimes
the appliance has to be used until the condition is constant in order
to isolate the cause.

Yes, they are usually fun to diagnose.....

A start would be posting the complete model number off the range so we
can see how it was designed (they're not all the same) and which
components it uses might be suspect. You can find tips for locating
the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair
Parts' section of my site linked below.

The model number is

665,75842001

If your oven uses a hot surface (glow coil) ignition system, is the
ignitor glowing when the oven should be on?

The ignitors seems to be a spark ignitors.

Any suggestions for tracking this down would be greatly appreciated.
Including things that I can do to confirm/rule-out possible causes.

Thanks!
Chris.
--
Pittsburgh, PA - [240.8, 120.9] Apparent Rennerian

take the ignitor off the oven and it should have two wires on it.. i
pluged the wires into an outlet in the wall and it did not light up.. i
held it with a pair of vicegrip pliers as if it did work it was gonna
get hot real fast.... i then went to appliance parts place and got
another one.. i had a kenmore gas wall oven... the shop told me its a
GE... they sold me the part.. i went home and put it back in an there
was no more prolbem with mine.. be careful the ignitor is pretty
fragil.. if you drop it the ceramic stuff in there might crack and they
it is junk.....
hope this helps....
i also noticed that when the oven was working(when it was fixed) that
the ignitor was on-light, all the time...... the gas will go on an off
depending if its needs more or less gas to keep the oven at a certain
temperature, but the ignitor has to be light to let the gas burn......