Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default TOT household rubbish

On 25/03/2018 11:52, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:37, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 25/03/2018 11:10, NY wrote:

snip

It is fine to encourage people to recycle more, but all households
generate a certain amount of waste on average, and it all needs to
be removed - whether in the normal bin or the recycling bin. There
seems to be a school of thought that we should magically produce
less waste, even of the recyclable type.

If it modifies your behaviour to reduce waste and recyclable matter,
it all sounds a good thing.

I'm all for encouraging people to recycle rather than landfill, by
carrot rather than stick by making it easy to recycle rather than
difficult/costly to landfill. But expecting people to reduce the
*total* amount of waste is ludicrous. If something comes boxed, you
have to get rid of the box - and you don't have the option of saying
"supply this item in clean, pristine, undamaged condition but with
less packaging" - the packaging is the means of making sure the item
is clean/undamaged.

Then modify your buying habits to include items with less packaging or
suffer the consequences and so we suffer your moans.

I have never had an issue with size of bins, even when our children have
been in disposable nappies.

Has it occurred to you that your local council's provision may be very
different from NY's?

The pilot scheme our council ran for a couple of years had a blue
plastic create that took a smaller range of stuff, and separate bags for
paper and card. They made recycling some things significantly more
difficult than the current scheme with a large wheelie bin that takes
pretty much any recyclable.

--
Cheers,

John.