Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermostatic radiator valves

on 25/03/2018, Harry Bloomfield supposed :
Dave Plowman (News) has brought this to us :
Never did understand why so many pros used to fit the main stat in the
hall. Just were opening the front door can lower the temperature of that
area.

Our stat is in the hall. During the original refurb many years ago it was
wired to be located in the living room, but I insisted it be placed in the
hall - just a matter of poking the cable through the wall. Present stat is a
wireless stat, so could be located anywhere.

The hall has the front door, but the front door is not often used, so it is
mostly an enclosed space with a radiator.

I have just remembered why I was so minded....

The living room is the only room with a gas fire and faces south/west,
so it gets the suns heat. I had in mind that if the gas fire were in
use, or the sun was strong, it would warm that room, the stat and cause
the heating to go off in the rest of the house. The hall as the centre
of the house, gets a much better idea of the temperature of the whole
house.

In practice, we have never, ever used the gas fire apart from now. It
has sat there unused for over 30 years.