Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default TOT household rubbish

On 24/03/2018 12:56, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2018 11:05, Richard wrote:

That makes our black bag for general waste and clear recycle bag seem
overly complicated.

See....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkj7gZmuuhU

Around my way
Black bag for general waste (landfill) - buy your own bags

Pink bag for mixed recycled waste - bags supplied by council

Small container for food waste - container and small biodegradable
lining bags supplied by council

Large container for paper - council supplied
Broken down card also collected.

White bags for recycled clothing which are often never collected so the
next week they get stuffed into the black bags. I see very few white
bags being put out these days.

A generalised observation:
Around 1 in 20 put out a food waste container. If the wind is blowing
many of these emptied containers will end up elsewhere!
Many people seem to leave their paper waste until the containers are
full so perhaps 1 in 6 have these containers are put out for any one
collection.

Garden waste is an optional, additional, paid for service at around £50
a year and buy your own wheelie bin from the contractor (£30) or
alternatively put your garden waste into a pre-paid branded bag at
around 65p a time.

I'm amazed that the efficient Germans haven't persuaded the EU to
'harmonize' bin colours. It might be good idea.