Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Planer or sander

On 3/24/2018 3:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/24/2018 6:50 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/24/2018 12:09 AM, Leon wrote:
Meanie wrote:
I'm contemplating the purchase of a bench top planer. After looking
around for a used machine, I often thought about a vertical drum sander
instead. Obviously, I know the difference between the two but they
basically do the same thing. Therefore, seeking the sage advice,
could I
get by with a sander instead of a planer?

A vertical sander?

A horizontal drum sander performs a similar function as a planer.

Before any one can advise you on which to get you must first tell us why
you want either one.

I meant horizontal.

Main reason is to even out the "plane" after gluing boards together
for a larger piece.

Most bench top planers are 13" or less so they will not get you there.

BUT a bench top planer will work much more quickly than a drum sander,
and will be much less expensive comparing like brand/quality.

A drum sander will pretty much do what a planer will do with more
capacity but will do so MUCH MUCH SLOWER.

If it were me I would go for the planer and add the sander later if you
want to get the most bang for your buck.

FWIW I have both, a 15" stationary Delta planer and a 22/44 Performax
drum sander.