Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_2_] Meanie[_2_] is offline

Default Planer or sander

On 3/24/2018 8:59 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

"Meanie" wrote in message
news
I'm contemplating the purchase of a bench top planer. After looking
around for a used machine, I often thought about a vertical drum sander
instead. Obviously, I know the difference between the two but they
basically do the same thing. Therefore, seeking the sage advice, could I
get by with a sander instead of a planer?

I've "gotten by" like that for the last quarter century.

I buy only rough lumber and I have no desire for a planer. Yes, skinnying
down a board on a horizontal drum sander takes longer but not all that
much and you wind up with a perfectly smooth, undinged board. It is great
for getting rid of lippage on glued up panels not to mention the
considerable utility in being able to gang sand numerous narrow boards on
edge to a uniform width.

My Performax sander has gotten MUCH use over the last 25 years and the
only thing ever replaced were transport belts. No repairs ever necessary
either. IOW, whoever told you it wouldn't last knows not of what they
speak

If you get one, you will HAVE to have a dust collector. A shop vac will
work but not very well and will be a PITA.

I do have a Jet dust collection system.
Thanks