barry martin

Default Power Screws - Any Good?

Steve:

S I saw some interesting fasteners the other day at HD. They looked like
S drywall screws, but had a different indentation for the driver. Not sure i

S it was square or a star. I believe they were called Power Screws. Looks
S like they had the countersink shaped head like drywalls.
S Anyone use these? Like them? Don't like them?
S Seems like they would be good for applications like decks where you have to
S really torque them in, and the regular Phillips strips out.

When we put the addition on and did some remodeling last summer the
construction guys frequently used these Robertson screws. I also had
the opportunity to use them several times, such as when taking squeeks
out of the Dining Room floor. Put screw to bit (seemed to always
fit - no searching for the slots), start slow for a half-second then
bare down and full speed == through 20+ year old flooring like
butter!

They did use the Robertson-headed screws outside for the decks.
Construction tip: snap a chalk line to put down the screws in straight
lines -- looks much neater! Additional construction tip: there are
different types/colours of chalk. I think it was blue which was the
most temporary -- lasted long enough to screw the deck boards in place
then diasppears. Other types of chalk last longer periods.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Chineese 101: They have arrived. Hia Dei Kum.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *