Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default TOT household rubbish

On 23/03/2018 18:18, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:44:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article 20180323171952.28dbae82@Mars, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:29:51 +0000 alan_m
wrote:

How much rubbish for collection does the average household generate?

We (2) have three 240 litre wheelie bins, for landfill, mixed recycling,
and garden waste. They're collected every two weeks. If I forget to
put a bin out we can normally last until the next collection, so that
would be one bin-full per month, although I do occasionally need to jump
on top to pack everything in. It's easy to reduce the recycling volume
just by cutting up plastic bottles ...

I'm sure I saw an article in the Times asking us not to do that, because
it confuses the separation machine at the recyclers. I was flattening
the bottles until I saw that, so I could get more into the kitchen
recycle bins (before emptying those into the wheelie bins).

I flatten the bottles so that I can get more into the wheelie bin! The
young 'uns generate a lot of those.

I've just ordered an aluminium bottle for carrying water. Or, as it says
on it, a "DHMO containment unit".

They also double up as hot water bottles in winter. Fill with almost
boiling water and put inside a thick hiking sock.