Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Staining Maple Issue

Doug Miller wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 3/16/2018 10:27 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I stop sanding at 150, and yeah, maple's a bitch. I use a
spray/wipe/spray process where
I flood the piece, wait 60 seconds, then wipe all the excess
away and let dry. The second spray is a light coat for colour.

Gel stains help some, too.

Or dyes. Maple is notoriously difficult to stain.

I have a question. I have only used dyes on a couple of
projects, on white oak. I needed deep dark.

Anyway, have you used dyes on maple? Is that the solution?

Once, anyway. I'm no expert. I'd rather just varnish or oil it.

I to try not to stain. :-)