Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default perforated drain pipe as a soakaway?

On 23/03/2018 22:15, Old Codger wrote:
On 23/03/2018 20:42, wrote:
On Friday, 23 March 2018 18:14:05 UTC, C. J.Â* wrote:
replying to js.b1, C. J.Â* wrote:
Hi, IÂ* have a solid pipe to a beer crate soakaway in clay soil which
I use for
my grey water.Â* It has always been a bit of a bog.Â* After 4 years it has
clogged up through the pipe and I'm thinking that using perforated
pipe from
beginning to end, without a soakaway crate might work better as, if I
Bury it
shallow, it will dispense the grey water lengthy and gradually into a
less
clayed soil. the earth gets more clayed the further down you go.Â* I'm
just
wondering if anyone found out whether this 'one side' perforated pipe
exists
because most I can see has all round perforations :-/!!??

I'm not seeing how it would help. Fine mesh always clogs. I don't
recall the old clay pipe sections having that problem, no mesh &
whatever enters can get washed out.

Clay pipe sections will tend to clog at the joints over time.

My property stands on London clay.

40 odd years ago I used 3" perforated plastic pipe (supplied in large
rolls which could be unrolled in the trench) buried 3' down with about
6" gravel on top.Â* There were 2 pipes running from almost the front
boundary, diverting either side of the property, to a stream at the
bottom of the garden.Â* Total distance 350+ yards.Â* I also directed the
roof water into these pipes (building control said no because they would
clog up, building inspector said it was OK).Â* For quite a few years I
would occasionally put a hose into a downpipe and view the water running
out at the stream.Â* For the last few years it doesn't visibly run out
but neither is the ground boggy so the pipes are distributing water
along their length.

Twenty-odd years ago I helped my parents install some in France. Rather
than the pipe with small holes in, it was slitted perpendicular to its
length. It was normal sized (110mm), black, plastic pipe. From memory,
one side had slits covering around a quarter of its diameter, a few mm
wide, every 10mm or so.

A quick search has pulled up something similar, although not quite the same.

https://pipecowa.com/product/6m-slot...ormwater-pipe/

SteveW