Andy Hall

Default Building Notices

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:58:40 +0000, Hugo Nebula
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:55:52 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"James" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I am puzzled by this statement. I thought that as a DIYer if I replace a
hot water cylinder, I am required to submit a building notice, to ensure it
is certified to meet Part L of the building regulations. Your comment
suggests such a stand alone replacement (where say the original has started
to leak) will not be inspected by building control.

Sorry, yes you're right. Shows you how often we get applications for
replacement HW cylinders.

I suppose what would there be to inspect?

- Is there a building safety aspect to this part of L1 (unlike
unvented cylinders? No.

- Has the punter bought a cylinder to British Standard mentioned in
the L1 Approved Document? Almost certainly.

- Has pipe insulation been fitted to the first metre or so of hot
water pipe coming from the cylinder? Somebody's going to inspect for
that?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl