Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pin Punches - Good Steel for Them

Most of the time pin punches do their job and pins push or are drive out
with modest effort. Once in a while you really have to wail on them to
get them started moving. When that happens the average pin punch just
folds like a cheap suit.

With this in mind I've been thinking about making some for special
applications. Use my regular el-cheapos formost normal applications,
but break out my "special ones" when the pin needs a little more push.

So, what would be a good choice for the application? W1 drill rod?
4140? I have those on hand, although either would require heat
treating, and the drill rod would probably require heat treat and
tempering. Is something else better?