Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stick on real wood veneer.

On 22/03/18 11:14, The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:20:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
fred wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 2:34:16 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 15:48:01 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Sorry to ask for some DIY advice, but has anyone any experience of using
either stick on or iron on veneer on a fairly large panel? Roughly 750 x
450 mm?

I've found a few places online that supply a paper backed ready glued real
teak veneer (a bit like sticky backed plastic) which sounds like it would
be easier to work with than traditional glueing methods (for me).

I can't see how it could be easier than wet glue. No chance of bubbles when the glue is wet/thin & slides well. Different story with a tacky adhesive.

NT

Wet glue would require clamping

Thing is for a large area you'd need some method of clamping rather
outside the scope of DIY? Unless I'm missing something?

Wet glue really only works for smallish areas you can clamp with a suitable load
spreader, anything 'big' and you really need a vacuum bag and pump.

Wrong. We used to veneer 10 8x4 slabs with PVA in a huge sandwich using
a 2 ton press.

All that matters is maintaining contact while things dry.

And a few more bits of wood on top and some weight does that nicely in
amateurs contexts

PVA will gap fill. Just not so much.

Iron on veneer certainly works and many speaker manufacturers used to use it.

You can (could?) buy the heat sensitive glue in sheets to use your own veneers.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.