Charles Spitzer

Default Travertine Tile Cracking .. HELP!

"NSN" wrote in message

I have about 2000 sq. ft. of 12" Travertine tile in my home. Every
two or three years I have to replace at least 20 tiles because of
cracking. I am in California and as many of you know, we get quite a
few minor earthquakes yearly. We also get a major one every few years
which does not help the problem.

Originally, the tile was laid directly over the concrete slab with
thinset. When replacing the tiles I have been using a thin layer of
mastic, then a layer of roofing paper (black "tar" paper) and then
another thin layer of mastic. I had hoped that this would insulate the
Travertine from the slab. It does not . some of the tiles continue to
crack but at a slower rate.

I am getting ready to replace another 20 tiles. Does anyone have any
ideas as to how to secure the tiles in place yet allow some
flexibility to prevent cracking? I suspect that I might end up with
some cracking of the grout but I would rather replace the grout in
these areas than replace the entire tile.

Norm

you (or the installer) needed to put an antifracture layer in before you
laid the first tile. putting one under replaced tiles doesn't help much,
since the grout is holding the tile in rigidly with the surrounding ones.

you'd have to regrout with a flexible material (silicone?), but that would
look fugly.

there's really no fix for this without ripping up the entire floor, or at
least large swaths of it.