Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim[_75_] Jim[_75_] is offline

Default Blocking toilet drain (temporarily)

replying to JA, Jim wrote:
CONFIRMED SOLUTION - I know that you are looking for and I do it all the time
to fill the bowl with water/vinegar to sanitize. Just buy a bag of medium-size
party balloons (should not cost more that a couple of dollars). Take one of
the balloons and fill with water until it is much larger than the toilet
drain. Tie off the top of the balloon. Now, carefully wedge the balloon into
the toilet drain hole, by manipulating the circumference of the balloon with
your hands. This may take a couple of tries, but basically you have to force
some of the water to the end of the balloon to get it to fit inside the drain
hole. Tie a string to the balloon and attach it to something just in case you
forget and flush the toilet - this also allows you to remove the balloon
later, without putting your hands in the water. That's all there is to it. The
balloon will now act as a plug in the drain hole and will keep water from
automatically draining out of the bowl. I do this all the time and it works
like a charm. As I said, it may take you 5 minutes of practice to get the
balloon wedged tightly in the drain - but I am sure you will get it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ly-265723-.htm