Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Fuse calculation

On 20/03/2018 12:21, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 11:39:34 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 19 March 2018 18:38:42 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Which is the best fuse to use (3A, 5A or 13A) with a 1.15kW electric fire
at a potential difference of 240v

10A . But 13A is fine.

So we both got it wrong then because the answer is 5A.

I think the answer is wrong, or at best a matter of opinion. If they
had asked which of the stated fuses has a current rating nearest to and
above the current drawn by an ideal theoretical 1.15kW heater which was
rated at 240V then it would have been a less ambiguous question.

Well they should have stated whether the person deciding on what fuse to instal; was a desginier of the equipment where the fuse was and who employed you because if I were to replace the fuse I'd have to use a 13 amp.

This is why I don't think it's a good question.

Other Qs include list 3 examples of household objects that use purely AC.
and 3 that use AC converted to DC.

and another I don't really like.
If a light bulb was connected to a 240V AC supply would it be brighter, the same or dimmer if the light bulb was connected to 240V DC.

Presumably the same, near as dammit, if it's an incandescent.

--
Max Demian