Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse calculation

On Monday, 19 March 2018 16:18:39 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 19 March 2018 16:11:42 UTC, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 08:27:31 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

Which is the best fuse to use (3A, 5A or 13A) with a 1.15kW electric fire at a potential difference of 240v

Assuming you mean at the BS1363 plug then the fuse should be sized to protect
the cable.
--

Nice, that's the sort of answer I'd expect :-)

But this was a question given to students doing our science foundation course where they are expected to say 5 Amps. (a student has left their marked paper (mid semester test) in the lab so I thought I'd have a look).

5A is a better answer than 13. It would give added protection against a partial short of the heating element. Either is compliant with BS. TBH this is very basic stuff.

I have also been told that H&S state that consumers/users should only use either a 3A of 13 amp fuse in a plug and that is what we as technicians have been told to use, even though I have loads of fuses including 1A, 2A, 5A, 7A, 10A and 13A

complete cobblers of course.

https://www.rospa.com/home-safety/uk...hoosing-fuses/

a useful rule of thumb for folks that need to be told which fuse because they have no idea. Such people normally only have 3 & 13A. That's all it is.

NT