Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Levels and a level

On 18/03/2018 18:01, David wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:54:05 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 18/03/2018 15:30, David wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 08:24:11 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

What's the problem?

Long term inability (decades) to set an accurate level using a spirit
level. Unlikely that learning is going to change it at this stage of my
life.

So I'm looking at alternatives.

Not pressing for today because the wall I'm working with is already
marked up (fortunately) but it did remind me of failures in the past
and tasks in the future.

In which case something like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gcl...ng-cross-line-

laser/9780p

(see lawson-his for them rather than SF though since they have a much
wider range of kits)

is very nice because it projects a bright clear horizontal line, a
vertical line, and a pair of straight up and straight down dots. It
makes all kinds of setting out jobs really easy.

This type I find far more useful than the type that just project a line
from the end of a conventional level.

Erm......possibly more expensive than I was expecting.

Probably... there are other similar ones out there that may be cheaper -
I was just showing one that I knew had the features...

£30 is not a big ticket item but £135 takes me into the realm of "If I was
going to spend £135 then is this top of my list".

However good tools are very rarely wasted money.

Yup, I know what you mean. Normally I wait until I have a job that
justifies it[1], but get something decent since I never regret buying
good tools. (and quite often have ended up buying cheap ones again!)

[1] in the case of a laser level I had about 30m^2 of tiling to do, and
that seemed like a good enough excuse! It was so much easier to get a
baton on the wall all round and know it would all line up when you got
back to the start ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.